I’m freed from the shackles of disability. The oppressive man known as “RoboBoot” is no longer. His two-month history of repression had to come to an end. Today I am destroying the fetters of “RoboBoot” and I shall live free.
NOW, I WALK UNCHAINED.
(Okay, that was dramatic, gurl.)
NB4R, I’m out of dis bitch. I might walk with a limp but at least I ain’t hauling this piece of shit around anymore. Send praise up.
Bring on the physical therapy and getting my switch back.
Three things happened today.
1. After several months of failed dental work for my two front teeth, I finally got the right crowns put in my mouth. I’m very relieved, but also annoyed that it took so long and that my smile is still a little imperfect.
2. I went to the gym and got some cardio in. I was worried about falling and hurting myself or looking like an idiot, but luckily only the latter happened.
3. There was a carbon monoxide leak in my building and I had to evacuate. Everyone is safe, or so the DC fire department says. The guy whose CO alarm went off and caused all of this is a weirdo so obviously I’m creating paranoid theories in my head.
- "It Won’t Stop" - Sevyn Streeter
- "Poetic Justice" - Elli Ingram
- "Cocoa Butter Kisses" - Chance the Rapper feat. Vic Mensa & Twista
- "Right There" - Ariana Grande feat. Big Sean
- "Luv Back" - Jazmine Sullivan
- "Runnin’" - The Pharcyde
- "Sad Songs" - Melanie Fiona
- "Gone Baby" - MeLo-X feat. Erykah Badu
- "Ready or Not (Clark Kent/Django Remix)" - Fugees
- "Sit N’ Prey" - Joey Bada$$ feat. Dessy Hings & T’nah Apex
- "Electric Relaxation" - A Tribe Called Quest
- "Feel the Love (Woz Remix)" - Rudimental feat. Childish Gambino
- "My Boo (DJ Paimon & DJ Tetris Trap Remix)" - Ghost Town DJs
- "Open (Branchez Bootleg Remix)" - Rhye
- "Swingin Party (Budo Remix)" - Lorde
- "Giving It All" - Bondax
- "Bad Idea" - AlunaGeorge
- "On & On (Kaytranada Remix)" - Snakehips feat. George Maple
- "Addiction" - Kanye West
- "Safe With Me" - Sam Smith
I don’t normally make summer mixtapes, but what the hell: Here’s what I’ve been listening to since June. You can probably tell that the music of the 90’s had a heavy influence here. Wrap up your summer with this mixtape and let me know what you think.
Irony or foreshadowing? Or ironic foreshadowing?
For last year’s “SUMMER JAMZ” I chose to use this artwork: A pair of healthy ankles in some golden Nike track shoes.
Now, I’m on and off crutches or hobbling about town with my roboboot at granny speed.
Ain’t nobody jamming around here.
GPOYLW: The first photo is from two weeks ago when I first saw my surgical scar right before the stitches came out and the second photo is from Rehoboth beach when the boo took a photo of my legs to show how much my left leg had atrophied and the third photo is from yesterday when all the bandages finally came off
Despite being only a few weeks out of surgery, I demanded that I still go on my business trip to Santa Ynez, California last weekend. My boss and colleagues were worried that it would be a bad idea, but also knew that it would be risky sending someone else to present my project. Also, risky to send a drugged-up barely-functioning human being on a plane across the country to give a presentation. But of course, I went.
Pro tip: Wheelchair service at the airport is CHOICE. They literally push your crippled ass around wherever you need to go and you get to cut ALL the lines! Got luggage? No problem. Make the healthy uncrippled ones do the dirty work.
Anyway, the presentation was a hit. Despite being doped up on Percocets and having to fumble around with crutches, everything went smoothly. Looks like I’ll be building a house in Santa Ynez so I’ll most likely be back in the fall.
The photograph above was taken a few hours after the meeting; I stopped in Malibu on the way back to LA. An old friend and I tried to eat at Nobu but we were turned away. We opted for Nikita right next door which seemed just as nice. I couldn’t stop smiling; mostly because I was happy the presentation was a success, but also because I was still high on painkillers.
Happy Jackie Washington Day.
Today I pretty much felt like dying from the immense pain when the docs removed my stitches and splint, and then put my foot in my robo boot. Not quite sure why the pain is so intense, especially when I thought things were going fairly well.
And now I might die from OD’ing on Percocets: I keep taking them because the pain just won’t stop.
Don’t worry, some day Jackie will be back.
I can’t tell which one is winning more at dat #CRIPPLELIFE
Seriously guys, I am SO tired and frustrated by these crutches and splint. Just yesterday I was bumping into everything and wearing out my body just by trying to put away laundry. I finally just gave up and sulked in bed. It’s such a chore to do the most basic and everyday things that I am desperate for something to make my life a touch easier.
But these people look so happy and cool, right? I want to be like them.
Remember that CDC campaign I was a part of? Well the ad agency behind it, Brand+Aid Creative, put together the above HTML email debuting their work without the constraints of government guidelines.
Spread the word!